From: The John's Hopkins Hospital
For several months I have resisted writing about Covid-19 because the facts presented on this organism seem to be changing on a daily basis. What is not changing is our need to understand what the organism really is, how it works and how we can protect ourselves and others as the pandemic continues to spread and infect thousands across the world.
A cousin recently shared with me this “good to know” information from John’s Hopkins Hospital. I thought it was worthy of repeating so that we might have an understanding of why we need to go to extraordinary efforts to protect ourselves and others from becoming infected with this virus. I have added and rearranged a few points but for the most part this is as the original was written.
Be Safe, Be Well!
- This virus is not a living organism. It is a protein molecule (RNA or DNA) covered by a protective layer of lipid (fat), which, when absorbed by the cells of the ocular (eyes), nasal (nose) or buccal mucosa (mouth), changes its genetic code (mutates) and converts into aggressor and multiplier cells.
- Since the virus is not a living organism, but is a protein molecule, it cannot be killed. It has to decay on its own. The disintegration time depends on the temperature, humidity and type of material where it lies.
- The virus is very fragile; the only thing that protects it is a thin outer layer of fat and that is the reason why soap or detergent is the best weapon. The foam CUTS THE FAT (that is why you have to scrub for 20 seconds or more, to create lots of foam). By dissolving the fat layer, the protein molecule disperses and breaks down.
- HEAT melts fat; this is why it is necessary to use water above 77degrees Fahrenheit for hand washing, laundry and cleaning surfaces. In addition, hot water makes more foam, making it more effective.
- Alcohol or any mixture with alcohol over 65% DISSOLVES ALL FAT, especially the external lipid layer of the virus. Do you know that Listerine is 65% alcohol?
- NO SPIRITS Like VODKA serve to kill Corvid-19. The strongest vodka is only 40% alcohol, and you need a minimum of 65% to dissolve fat.
- Any solution with 1 part bleach and 5 parts water directly dissolves the protein, breaking it down from the inside.
- Vinegar is NOT useful because it does not break down the protective layer of fat.
- Oxygenated water increases the effectiveness of soap, alcohol and chlorine, thus peroxide will dissolve the virus protein. However, because you have to use it in its pure form, it can damage your skin.
- UV LIGHT on any object that may contain the virus breaks down the protein. Be careful, it also breaks down collagen (which is protein) in the skin.
- The virus molecules remain very stable at colder temperatures, including air conditioning in houses and cars. They also need moisture and darkness to stay stable. Therefore, dehumidified, dry, warm and bright environments will degrade the virus faster.
- NO BACTERICIDE OR ANTIBIOTIC WILL WORK to degrade the virus because the virus is not a living organism like bacteria; antibodies cannot kill what is not alive.
- The virus CANNOT go through healthy skin.
- The more confined the space, the higher the concentration of the virus there can be. The more open or naturally ventilated, the less.
- You should:
- wash your hands before and after touching any commonly used surfaces such as locks, doorknobs, switches, remotes, cell phones, watches, computers, desks etc. and don’t forget when you use the bathroom.
- Moisturize your hands due to frequent washing. Dry hands have cracks and the molecules can hide in the micro cracks. The thicker the moisturizer, the better.
- Keep your nails short so that the virus does not hide there.
- PRACTICE SOCIAL DISTANCING AND WEAR A MASK WHEN OUT IN PUBLIC PLACES! YOU NOT ONLY PROTECT YOURSELF BUT YOU PROTECT OTHERS AROUND YOU!
Reference: The John’s Hopkins Hospital, Baltimore, Maryland, www.johnshopkinshospital.org
Cornelia Pearson, RN, MN
Member, St. Andrew Lutheran Church