2020 Lutheran MLK Day of Service
A day of service to commemorate the life and legacy
of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
Monday, January 20, 2020
8:30 AM to 1:00 PM
Location: Christ the King Lutheran Church
5575 Peachtree Parkway, Peachtree Corners GA 30092
The MLK Commemoration efforts are organized between Lutheran Theological Center in Atlanta, Inspiritus, and ELCA-Southeastern Synod Advocacy team:
You are invited to recognize the Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. by participating in the Lutheran MLK Day of Service on Monday, January 20, 2020 in the Metro Atlanta area. Children, youth and adults will gather at Christ the King Lutheran Church in Peachtree Corners for a morning of service, learning, and advocacy.
INSTRUCTIONS FOR VOLUNTEER REGISTRATION
Each volunteer (Children Grade K-5, Youth and Adults) should select tickets for TWO Service Projects:
- One Inspiritus Project – To benefit people served by Inspiritus. Check 2020 MLK Donations List and please bring donations needed for your Inspiritus Project. Downloadable donations list for Inspiritus projects: CLICK HERE!!!
- One Community Project – Hosted by congregations to benefit their local community ministries. Project sponsors will provide donations to accomplish Community Projects.
Parents/Guardians can also select:
- Tickets for childcare for infants through 4 years old, as needed
- Tickets for Children’s Activities during Learning Time by age range for children K-5th grade
Youth Group Leaders can register for up to 10 youth per leader (follow instructions for volunteer registration above)
Learning on MLK Day
Beneath the Surface: Going Deeper with the Words of Dr. King.
Every year in January when the nation commemorates the legacy of The Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., his words can be found in quotes shared across social media. Frequently, these quotes are shared as sound bites and memes without the context of the full sermon or speech from which they come.
In this learning session, led by Pastor Tiffany Chaney from Gathered by Grace in Montgomery, Alabama, we will go deeper with the words of Dr. King, taking time in conversation and reflection, studying Dr. King's writings and relating his mission to our own today. There will be both shared time for youth and adults and breakout sessions for each group. Ms. Janjay Innis, Director of Faith Formation from St. John's Lutheran Church in Atlanta, will facilitate our youth breakout time. Deacon Mary Houck, Director of Children and Family Ministries at Lutheran Church of the Redeemer in Atlanta will coordinate the learning activities for children. Together, we will go beneath the surface, going deeper with the words of the Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
ADVOCACY on MLK Day
The ELCA Southeastern Synod Advocacy Team will coordinate advocacy opportunities on MLK Day: An advocacy room will be open during the second half of the event so volunteers can learn about policies and pending legislation that impact vulnerable populations like refugees and migrants and children and families living in poverty and write letters to elected officials.
SERVICE on MLK Day
Volunteers will have the opportunity to assist with 2 different service projects (one Inspiritus project and one Community project) and to visit the advocacy room during the second half of the event.
- Inspiritus Projects benefit the individuals and families served by Inspiritus. Volunteers are asked to bring the donations needed to accomplish Inspiritus projects.
- Community Projects hosted by congregations to benefit other local outreach ministries/organizations supported by those congregations.
- Inter-generational Service - During the second half of the event, children ages K-5 will join their parents/guardians and all volunteers will rotate between their 2 selected projects with opportunity to visit the Advocacy Room and Inspiritus booths to learn more about opportunities to engage with Inspiritus throughout the year.
We Look Forward to Learning, Serving, and Advocating with YOU on MLK Day!