In response to the great need in our synod during this pandemic, $49,800 has already been distributed to 19 of our congregations in all four of our states. These funds have come from our Synod’s Strategic Initiative Fund plus grants from generous donors across the ELCA. We give God thanks for those who continue to support the work of the church and continue to spread God’s message of hope and love in the midst of this crisis.
These funds have been used by our congregations in many ways, blessing all whom they have touched.
- Gathered by Grace in Montgomery, AL, has seen some of the highest virus numbers in the state. Their Life Happens Fund serves as a community resource by providing financial assistance for rent, utilities, child care, and groceries. The needs in the last few months have exceeded the requests from the last two years combined.
- At Teluga Mission in Atlanta, part of the grant is being used to supplement the pastor’s salary. In addition, they are now supporting a family who lost all sources of generating income. One of this family member’s extended stay in ICU left them devastated in all ways, especially, financially.
- Faith and Grace in Decatur, GA, states that the grant gave hope and proved that God will always provide for his followers and believers in the midst of a global pandemic. The grant was used to continue the payroll of the administrative secretary, musicians and general church operations as they spread the gospel to the congregation and community.
- Advent in Lagrange, GA, has used grant money to purchase supplies to disinfect the worship space, plus masks, and sanitizers. Other funds have been used to supplement their technology so that the gospel can be spread virtually throughout that community.
- Holy Spirit in Savannah, GA, has been able to help support their high school seniors as they head off into the now unknown future of college and jobs. One of their seniors will be attending Lenoir Rhyne, a university affiliated with the ELCA, on a full scholarship. There remains goodness in our midst!
If you feel called to support in a broader way the work of the synod, please reach out to one of the synod staff. We’ll be honored to discuss how you can, even with a small donation, make a difference in the lives of those in the southeast.